I get a lot of questions about what to wear to an engagement session and where to do it. So I wanted to leave some tips and information on all things engagement sessions. I know most brides and grooms have never planned an engagement session before. Here are some tips from an insider.
What to Wear
Marie? What do we wear? Well, you want to look like you but your best you! Also, something that coordinates with your location is ideal. Wanting to do a session in home? Well, a snuggly sweater and some cozy thigh high socks is a perfect choice. Planning to do a picnic under your favorite willow tree? A floral maxi dress for her and a solid button up for him is a great choice. Want to hike your favorite mountain for those epic views or are we heading to your favorite beach? This is where the FLOW FACTOR comes in. Your hair down and a gorgeous long flowy dress or skirt is just the ticket! The waves crashing on the rocks, your hair and dress taken away by the wind, and you kissing your other half at sunset. GORG! I always send a pinterest board FULL of outfit ideas for every size. View that here.
Bring multiple outfits. I always suggest a dressy outfit and a more casual outfit.
Don't be afraid of colors! Also, accessorize it up with a fun hat or a flower crown!
Notice how in the picture above, Bri is wearing a bright color, but Caleb is in neutrals. This is a great way to coordinate. This also goes if one of you is wearing a busy pattern.
Location, Location, Location
You want to choose a location that fits you as a couple. What does that mean Marie? Well, what do you guys like to do together as a couple? Do you have a favorite coffee shop? Do you go beer/wine tasting for a fun weekend often? Do you like to hike? Are you running off to the beach every chance you get? No. No. No, Marie, we don't do any of that stuff. Well? Does your venue allow you to access their property for your engagements? Perfect! Not that either? Do you guys spend a ton of time at your home? Are you proud of your home? Let's make pancakes and snuggle on the couch with the cats! Sounds ahhhmazing to me. Once you choose your location it's easier to decide what to wear.
What time should we go?
Plan for sunset! I usually suggest 2 hours before sunset. If that's not do-able then early morning is great too.
Get Pampered Before Hand
Oh yeah! You heard me right! It's so important to feel comfortable. When a professional does your hair and makeup before photos you definitely feel your best. Make sure to get your hair cut and colored 2 weeks before your engagement date. Also, make an appointment to get a blow out and your makeup done before the shoot. It's also a great idea to get your nails done. You are going to be showing off that ring, which means I'll be photographing your nails too. They're going to be in the photo.
Guys, this goes for you too! A fresh hair cut and shave is going to make you feel like a million bucks in your photos.
This is a great trial for the BIG day too! Need awesome hair and makeup? Check out Ashleigh Moore.
Pamper your ring too!
Get your ring cleaned so it sparkles and shines.
A few more tips...
- Try not to think of it as a photoshoot, think of it as a date.
- Don't worry! I'll pose you and before you know it you'll feel like a pro in from the camera. That's what these are for.
- Feel free to move when you're posed. I know you are not a statue.
- Flirt! With each other and the camera.
- Try not to put too much pressure on your partner. Being married myself, we all bicker and by pressuring your other half that can cause fighting and we don't want that during or before a shoot. Not everyone likes having their picture taken but on the other hand think of how important this is to your partner.
- Have fun with it! Snuggle, dance, move, twirl, tell corny jokes, or dirty ones. There is no pressure we are here to have fun and create beautiful memories.
- Don't be afraid to do something out of the ordinary. Let's get in the ocean, visit the zoo, or hike a mountain the snow. The options are endless!
Check out some highlights from these past Engagements!